View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #150
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
oh yeah, I got the point. it's just the point was ludicrous.

a) there has not been a "free ride". far from it imo. that talk is just opponents not recognizing what he has accomplished.

b) if you want to know "what obama will do" just look at the positions that he has expressed over the last 20 months. pretty straighforward.

c) the opponents in the primary battle and the republican opponent for the presidency have all done a great job of putting his "feet to the fire". he has been challenged and he has responded.

d) he will not win in a landslide, and there will be no mandate which allows for unrestrained liberties by the presidency. he will still have to deal with the congress, and the congress has its own self interest.

e) you characterazation of obama saying "anything, anytime, anywhere if it is politically expedient" is just whining and not supported by the facts. could you point out exactly where this happened and what he said that was a clear example of pandering?
To say it's ludicrous is ludicrous. You can make the point that it seems unlikely, but ludicrous... far from it. Imo, conditions are right for a true paradigm shift and there is a high probability that Obama and the Dems will be at the helm with the Republicans largely on the sidelines. Paradigm shifts are scary things if your chief executive is inexperienced and vague on the direction. It's true that some presidents have excelled when faced with the right circumstances to implement fundamental change in government. I sincerely hope that Obama falls in that category, but I'm highly skeptical.

I don't have time today to address your other points, but will get back to them later.