Thread: The WNBA
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 10:04 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< Venus &amp; Serena probably hit harder than any female before them &amp; they've closed the gap a tiny bit, but Venus' showing versus that low-ranking male a while back (in australia, wasn't it?) proved they still have a long way to go... Anyone know the rank of the male? The score? >>

Both Venus and Serena played a set each against german player Karsten Brasch. The score was 6-1 both times with Brasch leading 5-0 and then giving one game away because he liked the two. A lot of jokes were made of him after that on the mens ATP tour. He was something like NR.150 back then I think.

UL, I think the women might get a little closer when it comes to technique. They will always lack the athletism though. I believe that the athletic explosion in alot of womens sports happened because of doping. Still there is only so much you can do with drugs, and I don´t think women will be able to ever catch up with the men when it comes to athletic ability. The only sports where they might have a good chance to compete in the future are the ones where athletic ability isn´t as important, like racing (there have been a few examples allready, Sahrah Fisher most recently).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote