Thread: Gay marriage...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Homosexuality has been around forever. It's not a fad or anything.

A man and a non-human animal can't get married (or civilly unionized, or whatever) because the non-human animal doesn't have the mental capacity to understand what's going on. This is the same reason why an adult and a child should not have the ability to get married. The child doesn't not have the brain development to comprehend it. Two consenting same-sex adults do, therefore, I see no reason why they should not have the full rights (with regards to taxes, inheritance, hospital visitation, etc.) that opposite-sex couples get.

The general next step of questioning involves polygamy and polyandry. I admit that I don't really have an answer for that.

And, of course, there will be differences with regards to the cause of homosexuality. I know plenty of gay people. Knowing them and talking with them, I do not believe in the idea that someone makes a choice about being gay. I've had the discussion with a gay friend of mine, and she basically says that, with the social stigmas that gays face, why would anybody choose to be gay? I can't disagree with her. And knowing the relationship that she has with her girlfriend, I could not tell them that the love that they share means less than the love that I would perhaps feel for someone else.

I will do my best to not let this become a long drawn out debate regarding the causes of one being gay. With the folks I have dealt with, there is an overwhelming link to childhood issues (Dysfunctional home, abuse, etc...) they choose to escape for relationship and find themselve caught up in a new world. The lure is in belonging to something. The downside, is that many have tried to retreat and make a choice out of that lifestyle, only to find and even more overpowering abuse/control from within that community.

This is essentially a form of Sexual Addiction...but we could be chasing down a topic that could truly derail this board. Suffice it to say, that my experience in this arena enables me to formulate this very widely shared belief.

But back to the main point...legal or not...the facts are that other societies who have argued as you have, to allow Homosexual unions, have also slipped and allowed unions between Adults and Children...between People and Animals. Again, these are inconceivable to us in the USA today. So while they are inconceivable would it not be wise to draw that boundary and truly define what the LAW is in the USA? If we don't we run the risk of changing this view in future years.

I say it's choice, you say it's not...no big deal...the fact is that Homosexuality has been around since the early days of humans. It will remain until the final days of this earth. So this is not worth a debate...but what boundaries should we place are worthy of discussion.

Hey, I am willing to find middle ground...I am straight and support straight marriage, but I also believe the Government is not needed for marriage...perhaps some type of legal civil union, sort of like a business partnership is the right way to go. Heck, I actually like the aspect of the Unmarriage as is modeled by Gene Simmons, Lord knows we can all name a few marriages who could take a lesson from Mr. Simmons as it relates to commitment to his loving partner.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote