Thread: Gay marriage...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum in the past on this board, and I have no real intention of getting back into a discussion of it now, but I will say this. While I am personally starting to become more inclined toward the libertarian view that Rhylan expressed (that government should just get out of the business of marriage altogether), I think we should realize that probably isn't a realistic expectation, any more than the government is going to suddenly go to a flat tax.

The reason that government got into the business of legalizing marriage was to promote it as a vital part of the way our society is constructed. If you understand that, then you begin to understand why there is such a fight over whether or not legal marriage should be expanded to include homosexual couples.