View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #95
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well, obviously any team with a good low-post threat could feasibly get to the line more but the Mavs don't. I don't think the focus has to be on "slash", it just has to be more where shots are taken. Shooting 19ft jump shots right in an opponent's face is what the Mavs have been doing for the most part lately. It's just lazy.

If you look at any player who drives to the basket versus a player that doesn't, I guarantee you they will shoot more fts. That isn't just some conicidence. You can't use that example against SA since they actually had centers who could block shots, like um, Tim Duncan. You saying that driving to the basket will just get your shot block is a ludicrous point with that example. The more teams attack the basket, the more fts they will attempt, I guarantee it.
You're not addressing the issue. I never said that driving to the basket doesn't give you more FTA's. I said it's not going to translate into consistent success and victories if a team doesn't have enough shooters to spread the floor to give them good opportunities to drive to the basket successfully. Sure, you can just force your way in there and you may get more FTA's, but you'll also have more turnovers, more fouls that aren't called, and generally lower percentage shots.

In the NBA, an open jumper within 20 feet is a much higher percentage shot than most drives into the lane. There is a reason that almost every end-game play you see drawn up is a jump shot, rather than a drive. There are several risks inherent with taking the ball to the hoop that teams aren't willing to risk with 5 seconds left in a game. An open jumper is a much safer bet. Problem is, the Mavs only have 2-3 players who consistently hit open jumpers.

There are plenty of times where this team certainly needs to be more aggressive. Every time Howard steps back to take a contested, fadeaway jumper, I cringe. But the Mavs need shooting and a low post threat way more than they need a guy who can't shoot but can run into the lane and draw fouls.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-18-2008 at 05:55 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote