View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

This could be the first good break for the NYKs all year.

SPREE MIGHT HAVE BROKEN KNICKS DEAL

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 5, 2002 --
CHARLESTON - Latrell Sprewell, in possibly failing to give "prompt notice" to the Knicks about his off-season hand injury, might have breached his Knick contract, according to a clause in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The last time Sprewell breached his contract was when he choked his coach P.J. Carlesimo five years ago. Golden State terminated the contract, but it was later reinstated by a judge.

The Knicks don't plan to terminate his contract, but a fine or suspension could be in order after GM Scott Layden, Garden sports prez Steve Mills and Don Chaney meet with Sprewell Monday at their Westchester practice facility.

It appears to depend upon how contrite Sprewell, who will make nearly $13 million this season, acts during the meeting.

It also could hinge who defines the word "prompt" as it relates to Sprewell here.

With evidence mounting Sprewell fractured his right pinkie by punching a wall during a Sept. 20 altercation at a party on his new yacht, this could be the final straw in his often-stellar but always controversial Knick career. Sprewell didn't inform the Knicks about the injury until 10 days later - is that prompt? That question remains to be answered.

According to Chaney, he only told them he banged his hand on his boat. Sprewell will miss at least six weeks.

The relevant clause in the CBA states, "The player agrees to provide to the team's coach, trainer or physician prompt notice of any injury, illness or medical condition suffered by him that is likely to affect adversely the player's ability to render the services required under his contract, including the time, place and nature of such injury, illness or condition."

A prominent Manhattan hand surgeon confirmed that the injury Sprewell suffered - a fracture of the fifth metacarpal in the pinkie area - can be known as "a boxer's fracture" and is most commonly caused from punching something hard.

"Boxer's fracture tends to come from a clenched fist striking a solid object," said Dr. Pamela Sherman of the Hospital for Special Surgery. "That's usually how it happens, punching a wall or drawer; something solid that doesn't move."

Two eyewitnesses told The Post on Thursday that Sprewell, hosting a party on his yacht docked at Milwaukee's lakefront area, got angry when a woman guest drinking shots of alcohol threw up on a white carpet by the bar. They said Sprewell wanted the woman off the boat, but after her boyfriend interfered, Sprewell took a swing and missed. Sprewell denied the incident through one of his publicists.

Bob Gist, Sprewell's agent, backpedaled on his prior account that his client suffered the fracture navigating his yacht after a Lake Michigan wave smacked the vessel. "I don't know and I really don't care how he hurt his hand, as long as it's not a crime," Gist said.

Shopping Sprewell was a management priority this summer. With Shandon Anderson the scourge of a tumultuous training camp, Sprewell's Knick career is in jeopardy again.

Layden made a telling remark Tuesday. Layden said of Sprewell's replacement, Anderson, "I'm hoping he plays so well that Coach [Chaney] has an unbelievable decision as what to do when we're at full strength." You don't say that about your supposed franchise player.

Chaney said he has to believe Sprewell's version for now. "I read it in the paper but I'd like to speak with him to find out exactly what the story is," Chaney said. "That's one of the reasons we'll be meeting. I can go by only what he said. He said he banged his hand on his boat. We still don't know. Right now we're talking about hearsay."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote