View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #105
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The problem, wmb, that I have with your logic is that I don't see how it has anything to do with the laws. If I'm a business owner or a homeowner, I can put a gun in my business or home no matter what the law says. I can get my hands on a gun, I can protect myself. What, do I need the government to tell me it's OKAY to have a weapon in my business or my home? Not me, baby.

What I want is for the bad guys to NOT have guns. Consider the harsh gun laws in NYC, as we have learned about thanks to the Plaxico Burress incident. Carry a loaded weapon illegaly, and it's three years in the can, no questions asked. That's the sort of harsh punishment that is going to make fools think twice about carrying around loaded guns. Use a gun in a crime? VERY harsh penalties. Again, makes fools think twice.
Nothing but double speak in your logic.

How do you have access to a gun to put in your home or business and restrict gun ownership away from "bad guys"?

You (and many others) maintain this utopian idea that we can somehow
1)allow guns to those who should have them
2)deny guns to those who should not have them

We do the best we can to meet those ideals but it is not possible. The best we can do is have a background check at the point of purchase. That is done. We could improve the database that the FBI has access to but that is sticky and goes through issues of privacy and civil rights.

It is not possible to prevent "bad guys" from getting guns. "Bad guys" or criminals have no regard for the law and are not going to be therefore affected by laws. Criminals will obtain guns one way or another (it is easy) without going through a background check. A criminal can steal the gun. A criminal can buy the gun at a garage sale or otherwise buy a gun from a private citizen who is not a dealer or seller of weapons. There is no law that prevents that. You can find guns advertised in estate sales. You can find them in the "greensheet" type fliers/ads. Criminals can bring them across borders.

So, Chum, it is impossible to have your ideals. But, we strive for those ideals.

So, the next progression is to eliminate guns. That is what Britain, Greece, and many other Western nations have done. And, by doing so, they have reduced their citizens to unarmed peasants who cannot protect themselves.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote