View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Jefe, while I appreciate your response, I'm afraid you wasted your breath, as it were. The point is that it doesn't make one bit of sense to say that if handguns were illegal for a criminal to use then the criminal would just use a sawed-off instead. As you point out, the sawed-off is illegal as well, and for good reason.

The guy is making the untenable argument that criminals would trade an illegal weapon (handguns, if they were so) for a legal weapan (sawed-off shotgun). The latter is itself not legal.
No, what Wright and Jefelump said is that if handguns were entirely unavailable (which will never happen as it is impossible), then they would buy legal shotguns and then modify them to make them more concealable to use them.

I repeated much of what Jefelump already said. That is what I get for not reading ahead.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote