View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #94
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Diop 5 years, 32.4million

Hollins is an expiring 900k
Carroll is 5 years, 20.8 million

we save some money but we take back Carroll who has only a slightly better contract. 5 years for a guy that is shooting 40.6%, 26.7% and 79%, though?!? Wow. People said they wanted a SG with size but Carroll may be more porous than Terry and he provides very little on the other side.

Hollins is a lifelong underperformer (at least in basketball-- he was good at the high jump.) who failed to make a splash in college and is thusfar failing in the NBA. After this year he may very well never see an NBA lockerroom.

We essentially save about 11 million and get no talent back. Since Diop wasn't playing/contributing its not a huge deal but it does make me wonder if we are transitioning into a rebuilding mode. I'm not adverse to it-- we either need to position ourselves to rebuild or we need to be aggressive about getting better.

Right now we are just sitting on a sub-par 9th seed team with a huge payroll.
Diop has been a negative on the floor and Carroll's contract is structured in such a way that he will be easily tradeable as part of a bigger package towards the end of his contract.

Diop, on the other hand, would only have gotten more and more untradeable as his contract went on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-16-2009 at 08:43 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote