View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
#1 I was not talking to you, so you are unwilling to look at my post to see that I was talking to that other poster.

#2 It is silly to assume Avery would "NEVER" change something, because I saw him change alot of things, but giving Harris more rope was not one of them.

#3 I can find as many articles on Carlisle being a control freak like you can find on Avery. I dont know why you dont see they are alot alike. It is clear on his moves just for these few games he has been coaching.

#4. Please dont give Carlisle an excuse because of the roster, because that is just sad. The Mavs are who they are. We suck under Carlisle after everyone was going to quit on Avery. Even a new coach has not done better, even after assuring Dirk and Cuban he would let Dirk do whatever he likes.

Lastly, my problem is the part from that poster that said Avery would never change. I just think that is extreme and just a reason to bash Avery. There was no reason to being bash Avery on this. It seems that some just go out there way to bash Avery for things that are wrong now. I am saying get over Avery, and whatever happens now is on Carlisle, Cuban, Donnie and the players.
So because you weren't talking to me I can't respond? In the words of Ron Burgundy "That doesn't make sense".

Avery, towards the end, proved that he was pretty unwilling to take advice from anyone. His coaches grumbled about not having input, he cast off the input of Del Harris, Dirk's personal coach was asked not to come around, hell, didn't they also get rid of the team shrink? I think it's a damn safe bet that Avery would never, ever have given up play calling to Kidd.

I readily admit that Carlisle has had (deservedly) a reputation as a control freak in the past. And I'm sure that's his natural tendency. But we have a ton of evidence here that supports the notion that Carlisle is learning and changing. First of all, one of his assistant coaches is fully in charge of the defense. Secondly, he built an offense this off season that he hoped would get the best of out Kidd and others. When it became clear it wasn't working, he scrapped it. He gives players a chance to earn playing time, often riding with them if they are playing well. He recognized how poorly Stack was playing and sat his ass on the bench. And now he's given up play calling.

That's a lot of examples of Carlisle being flexible. And it's perfectly fair, based on his track record, to think that Avery would have done little, if any of those things were he still here.

Will Avery learn and grow and adjust as Carlisle seems to have? Time will tell. But I seriously doubt it would have happened with the Mavs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.