View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #46
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So because you weren't talking to me I can't respond? In the words of Ron Burgundy "That doesn't make sense".

Avery, towards the end, proved that he was pretty unwilling to take advice from anyone. His coaches grumbled about not having input, he cast off the input of Del Harris, Dirk's personal coach was asked not to come around, hell, didn't they also get rid of the team shrink? I think it's a damn safe bet that Avery would never, ever have given up play calling to Kidd.

I readily admit that Carlisle has had (deservedly) a reputation as a control freak in the past. And I'm sure that's his natural tendency. But we have a ton of evidence here that supports the notion that Carlisle is learning and changing. First of all, one of his assistant coaches is fully in charge of the defense. Secondly, he built an offense this off season that he hoped would get the best of out Kidd and others. When it became clear it wasn't working, he scrapped it. He gives players a chance to earn playing time, often riding with them if they are playing well. He recognized how poorly Stack was playing and sat his ass on the bench. And now he's given up play calling.

That's a lot of examples of Carlisle being flexible. And it's perfectly fair, based on his track record, to think that Avery would have done little, if any of those things were he still here.

Will Avery learn and grow and adjust as Carlisle seems to have? Time will tell. But I seriously doubt it would have happened with the Mavs.
I did not hear about the other coaches that grumbled. Do you have a link to support this? Also where did you hear that Avery did not want to hear from Del Harris? Could you provide proof of that?

As far as Dirk coach, I would ask him to leave as well based on reports that guy bashed Avery in the German news. I would tell him to get the fuc* out of my area as well.

I have not seen Carlisle change anything other than change from what he said he was going to do before Cuban hired him, Now, a change that we see now, is that he is finally letting Kid handle the offense. Why did this not happen from Day 1, when he made the big comment on Kidd running things to get the job? Carlisle reminds alot of people of Avery, and I think Avery is alot better coach than Carlisle, case in point just about every stat we could put up about coaches.

I think Avery can and will change, but the fact remains that you cant argue with success, and Avery had alot of success, so that meant what he did worked. I cant fault Avery about that, because he can show proof by wins/loses. Now, after this season, I do believe Avery would have adjusted based on he could not argue that success mess as much because you are what your record says you are. I truly believe that about Avery. Now, I also agree that we should have fired Avery, based on how the players felt about Avery. But, I cant see how Carlisle is a better coach than Avery at all.