View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
It's interesting to me that the change in the play-calling ratio was accompanied by the handing over of a CD containing data on the efficiency of the various sets and plays. It's interesting because I tend to think Carlisle's a smart and intellectually curious guy, and if a smart and intellectually curious guy really wanted to get to know his players' strengths and weaknesses, wanted to get to know how his players complement one another, wanted to discover what the parameters for their greatest possible success were, and knew that he had an entire season ahead of him, I'd expect him to be fairly deliberate and systematic in his play calling for a time as a way of probing the possibilities and gathering informative data on the results.

And then, if he were also a good coach, as I tend to think Carlisle is, and if he had Jason Kidd as his starting point guard, as Carlisle does, I'd expect some of that to eventually give way. I'd expect him to turn more of the in-game management responsibility over to his hall-of-fame point guard, and I'd expect him to try to empower his hall-of-fame point guard by making available to him the data that had been gathered, and the conclusions drawn, during the early months of the season.

And in the long run, I'd expect the team to be better for the patience that had been shown.
That's an interesting insight, but very true. Carlisle does seem like a guy who is great at analysing data. And if anyone can interprete that data into meaningful use for games, etc, then its Kidd.