View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #272
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Where did you read that they were not calling plays? Who told you that motion offense does not have play calling? Then to top it off, you state that anyone who follows the team knows that motion offense means no play calling.

It is real simple: Several players confirmed that Carlise was calling about 70-80% of the plays the first 3 months of the season. How hard is that to understand? And again, who told you that motion offense has no play calling?
As I said, I don't really believe the notion that they had "no" plays. But the entire point of the motion offense is to give the players the ability to read the defense and reaction rather than to call set plays and run them.

Quote:
This won't be the paint-by-the-numbers offense you have grown accustomed to watching over the last few seasons. It is more Monet than methodical. It relies on creativity over calculation.
Carlisle concedes even he is intrigued to see what form the offense takes beginning tonight.
"Well, we're not running the triangle," Carlisle said. "Maybe I'd call it a rectangle. I don't know what I'd call it.
"But we don't have many sets in. We're going to be playing mostly out of movement."

The offense under Avery Johnson was more structured. He would call the play, put his team in position to exploit a mismatch then attack. It was about discipline and imposing the Mavericks' will on the defense.
The idea under Carlisle will be for players to read the defense and react. There will be more motion in the form of backdoor cuts and pick-and-rolls. Fewer plays will be called.

"We have no half-court sets," guard Jason Terry said. "There is a base and a method to our madness, but it's all creative madness.
"It's a little bit of the Princeton offense. A little bit of run and gun. Can you call it the West Coast offense of basketball? I don't know."
Link

There were also numerous radio/tv interviews in which Kidd, Dirk and Jet mentioned the lack of set plays, the lack of offensive sets, and the fluidity of the new offense.

It's weird posting all of this as if you didn't know this happened. This board discussed these points ad nauseum during training camp.

So, to sum up: I'm not saying Carlisle didn't ever call plays in the early part of the season. But he spent the offseason and training camp devising and and installing an offense that was meant to limit his input on the offense, and to empower the players to play and react to what they saw on the floor.

That is the epitome of someone willing to release his control on the offense. And it didn't work, so he started adding more and more sets and plays, and calling them.

Now that everyone is comfortable with them and they have some data to study what has worked the best and what hasn't, he's once again empowering his players (Kidd specifically) to make more decisions on the court about how the offense runs.

I don't understand what's not to like here, and I don't understand trying to take away from the flexibility Carlisle is showing here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.