View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #80
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
My bad....obviously I'm over-reacting, knee-jerking, etc....I do hope you'll tell when it's no longer too early to form an opinion on this team.

By my reckoning they've played 77 regular season games since the Kidd trade....I'm no NBA expert, but I think 77 games is almost the equivalent of a full regular season together and it would seem to me that a full regular season together is more than an adequate time to get a sense of a team...

....and my sense of this team is that they are old, over-paid and under-motivated and wholly incapable of winning 4 out of seven games against any of the leagues' better teams...

So....if playing the 2nd night of a b2b is sufficient reason to discount a loss, shouldn't we also discount wins against teams playing the 2nd night of a b2b? Seems reasonable to me...that in mind the mavs over their last several games when not playing on 2nd night of a b2b, or against a team playing the 2nd night of a b2b...

Loss at Suns (blowout)
Loss at Kings
Loss at Denver
Win v. Philly
Loss at Mil (blowout)
Win at Detroit
Loss at Boston (blowout)
Win v. Golden Shower
Win v. Portland

That's a 4-5 record with more blowout losses than impressive wins....not good.

Arguably, the over-reacting that is occuring around here is not what we see after a blowout loss, but the reactions we see after blowout wins...

Alexameanos, my friend, we're fine. at the end of the day it is just a game . Teams go from elite to mediocre all the time, Blazers/Kings/T-Wolves earlier this decade, Suns/Pistons/Mavs now . It's juts a cycle, our shot was '06 and '07 and we didn't convert, thanks to fluke BS shots and fluke BS whistles. It happens, no team can stay elite forever. even the Spurs are on the decline.

But calling the Mavs mediorce is selling them short, I think we're just a good team that isn't championship caliber. One thing I will say is 19 of the final 33 are at home. If we can go lets say.... 16-3 in the final 19 home games (Why not? 15-3 in past 18 since 0-4 disaster )... and sustain .500 play on the road that would be a 52-30 record. Pretty good, championship teams dont go 52-30 but its better than mediocre.

We're just gonna have to enjoy our beloved mavs, even if they aren't serious contenders this year.

I'm opposed to trading Josh, I like some of the stuff he's done lately although his shooting has been poor in 2 of the past 3 games. I just see better ball movement from him. That pass to the corner for terry's 3 last night? Cuts to the basket... that steal resulting in a layup last night. I dunno, these are little things I like from josh. I wouldn't trade him unless the offer was really good.

Im just hoping we can convert some of our corpses (Stackhouse, George) into a useful player. not a Gasol type trade but just a useful player? Mike Miller? John Salmons? These guys aren't all stars or anything.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote