View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #24
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

The difference in talent and ability in girls high school basketball between various teams is probably greater than any other sport. Blow outs are not that unusual even between schools of simular size enrollment. Private schools become enrollment magnets for talented players because the coaching and exposure results in scholorships to Div 1 collages for the players.

Height while sometimes a factor is not the only reason. The top rated team in the country last year ( Sacred Heart ) had no players even 6' tall. They beat another undefeated team ( St Marys ) for that distinction by one at the Nor-Cal playoffs and they also had no-one even 6' tall. It's really about coaching and skilled players who can handle the ball. These types of teams would blow out teams that blow out other teams and so forth.

I have seen games this year where the latter of the afore mentioned team had to really try to keep the score under a 100 even with a running clock. There second teams would also blow out those schools. And these were against teams that were fielded by schools of 2000 student enrollments. Both of those teams because of their lack of height used a intense full court pressure defense to compensate. The caliber of play of some of the programs is just way beyond most of the others.

I dont believe the team that scored 100 in the article was even that good. Perhaps low mid level at best. There is such a huge disparity between teams in high school basketball that blow outs at many different levels are not that unusual even if the teams call off the dogs long before the games are over.

I recently saw a halftime score of 69 to 9 score that ended up as 84 to 32. The losing team actually had blown out some other teams previously themselves.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 02-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote