View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

SPOX: His musical talent is supposed to be in a bad way as well.

Silke: There is definitely room for improvement (laughs). Music is important for him, to clear his head from competition and after his NBA career it will probably be of higher significance in his life. But as a professional basketball player he does't have the time to practice his guitar, Saxophone or piano playing.

SPOX: Have you talked to your brother about what he intents to do after his playing days?

SIlke: Personally his big goal is to have children, to get married, start a family. He can imagine that happening in the near future. At the moment he does't quite have the time for it.

SPOX: Is it correct that your protection instinct gets activated when it comes to your brother?

Silke: I definitely have the "big sister syndrome". I's been that way since early childhood. I took care of him and that will probably never change, no matter how many times he goes to the all-star game or whether he's a multimillionaire. Yo're always concerned and careful.

SPOX: Did you move to NEw York in 2000 and work at the NBA to be able to pay closer attention to Dirk?

Silke: Indirectly. We thought that sooner or later I could help Dirk organizationally. But that I ended up living in New York for five years was more coincidental. I originally wanted to do a three months internship at the NBA but they wanted to keep me.

SPOX: Since your return you share management duties of your brother with Nowitzki's mentor Holger Geschwindner. How are the tasks distributed?

Silke: It developed in a way that I take care of press relations and the foundation, Holger more of the contracts and marketing. We are such a small circle though, that we don't really claim one specific area.

SPOX: At the age of 16 Dirk got to know Geschwindner. Has Geschwindner always been a little peculiar/solitary/a loner ?

Silke: Holger is absolutely unique. He is not an easy going guy, but he always has Dirk's best interest in mind.

SPOX: It is unusual that an NBA star doesn't have a real player agent. Why?

Silke: Holger has been taking care of Dirk for almost 15 years, that's why we keep it that way. Dirk knows with us, that we follow the right motives and we back him up fully. Also because the work load is manageable. Unlike some NBA colleagues he is not planning to build a "Nowitzki" brand. He just wants to win a championship and find happiness in his personal life.

SPOX: As a youngster school was definitely not part of that happiness.

Silke:School was never his big love. Dirk was more dedicated to sports and our parents had to look out that he didn't miss out on his homework. In school, unlike on the sports field, Dirk only did that what was absolutely necessary. But in the end and with our help he got the "Abitur" [high-school diploma]. I still remember how one of his coaches on their way home from an away game was helping him study chemistry.

SPOX: When Dirk Nowitzki was 13 years old, his first basketball coach allegedly told him he will be better than Toni Kukoc.

Silke: I remember that well. Back then no one could believe that. I just thought: yeah, yeah, let him talk. That Dirk could become a good player was clear. But nobody had any idea that he could reach these dimensions.

SPOX: In 1998 Dirk Nowitzki got drafted. To convince him of the move to Dallas coach Don Nelson, his son and GM DOnnie Nelson as well as owner Ross Perot Jr. came to Würzburg personally. Was it as surreal as it sounds?

Silke: What I remember most was the car-ride. Dirk was supposed to drive the Nelsons to Bamberg. His car back then though, was a very old, little, white VW Golf with a seized engine that made huge noise. Anyway, the three of them squeezed into the Golf and chugged along to Bamberg. Dirk talked for a long time about how embarrassed he was.

Last edited by Dim499; 02-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote