View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #58
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw an interesting post on LMF:
What if the media is letting you be a fly on the wall for the negotiations for a VC deal?

Wojnarowkski, for Yahoo, is the one who seems to be leading the charge for presenting this idea. You can check his archive, the guy actually had a pretty decent reading on the idea Kidd was going to come to Dallas. He was talking about it in some detail in the late stages of January, before stuff really broke. Maybe he has a pretty fair idea of what is going on in the Nets organization.

Now to bring this to a Dallas perspective: Stein. We all know Stein is based out of Dallas and does great work for ESPN and he has a really good pulse on the Mavericks.
This is what he wrote:
There have been media reports all week indicating that the Mavs are chasing New Jersey's Vince Carter, but club sources have stressed repeatedly that they have no intention of including Josh Howard in such a deal, likely ruling out any notion of a Carter-Jason Kidd reunion.

One team source said Thursday that the Nets would have to include rookie center Brook Lopez to change that stance, which obviously isn't happening.
-------------------

I think this might be how it's ACTUALLY going. Dallas KNOWS they're bailing NJ out with VC and the two other contracts. By getting those #s off the books, NJ is starting a nice rebuilding process. IMO, Dallas is getting the best player out of the deal but they want more from it. They know they're taking IN a ton of salary in the process of getting the best player so they want a piece that also can seriously contribute in a position of need: Lopez fits that bill.

I think that last part is where the snag is. Both of these writers seem to have a good read on the teams and they know what the teams are trying to get out of it. So it looks like the snag is that last part that Dallas wants to finish it off.