View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #90
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Looking back it's really a pity that the planned trade including Diop and Felton as the main pieces of a Charlotte-Dallas(-OKC) deal didn't work out. If my memory serves me correctly, Augustin's injury and OKC's refusal to do the trade killed it. Assuming that the Mavs wanted to get rid of Diop and the Bobcats were willing to trade Felton but changed their mind because of Augustin's injury, does anyone know if we even offered Barea as a result to help them through Augustin's injury? After all, we wouldn't have needed him anymore.

That trade and a deal of Stack/Bass for Kaman, who should be healthy again someday and isn't all that injury-prone, would have addressed some of our weaknesses and certainly helped us become one of the four best teams in the West (on paper).

We weren't able to get it done, maybe the FO didn't even want to get it done. I'm sure they would have made some additional sacrifices other than offering Diop to get Felton, but I'm not sure that Kaman was ever on their list. Yet he seems to be one of the few centers in the league who would be a definite improvement over Damp and available as well. If we could get him in the coming off-season, we would then have Damp's huge expiring contract to work with next February to get, for example, a shooting guard. Not to mention Stack's contract.

We could also try to move Josh, but it's difficult to find a player with a similar contract who is definitely better. Damp and Kaman do have similar contracts, but in that case it's pretty safe to say who the better player is. And contrary to doing something involving Davis, we wouldn't have to take a huge, long-term contract.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote