View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What an intellectual ganiff.

I used to listen to Rush, back when I was young and naive...in the heady wake of the Reagan era. It didn't take me long to figure out that Rush himself was guilty of all the fallacies he ascribed to his political would-be foes.

Rush starts this speech by saying that conservatives "love people," that they don't see "groups," they see "Americans"--that they see the potential in every person and believe that people will achieve their best if obstacles are removed from their way.

Hello! That's the progressive creed! Notice how Rush stole it for rhetorical effect. Conservatives do indeed see groups. They see the haves and the have-nots. And removing obstacles from people's way? Rush means removing obstacles from the way of good conservatives--which means, basically: lower my taxes so I can attain more personal wealth.

Rush says that he wants every American to be the best they choose to be. He supports this with some lofty talk about "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". (Always dress yourself in the constitution if you have nothing better to offer.) He says these things are under attack, but he doesn't say by who.

He says that conservatives don't want to tell anyone else how to live. Um...that's the "attack" you are talking about, Rush.

He says that conservatives don't hate anybody...and if you want to see racism you need only to look to the Democratic primary last year.

Conservatives like Rush do hate people. And they do see groups, which is how they know who to hate. You know who conservatives hate the most? Yeah, they hate blacks and they hate fags and they hate environmentalists...but what they mostly hate is liberals.

Because liberals threaten their lifeblood, and they know it.

How amusing it was to see Rush remark that his speech was being carried on Fox and as such represented his first "address to the nation," followed by raucous applause. Conservatives believe they ARE the nation.

Let them rot among their own self-delusions, as far as I am concerned. I have never seen a more insular, combative, divisive group. They are thirty years behind the times, but oh boy, are they holding on strongly to that string.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote