View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
He's trying to impress a coach that hasn't played him all year. The easiest way to get noticed is by scoring. Just ask Holger and Dirk.
I would agree with this statement.

If Green is ever to "get it" in this league, he needs playing time. And maybe, once you invest a little time into him, you'll realize he's never going to "get it". But with that much potential, don't you have to try?

I've compared him to Nelson Cruz of the Rangers last year. Cruz excelled in the minors, but he never could make it in the big leagues. He'd come up, hit poorly, go back down, hit lights out, come back up, hit poorly, on and on and on. People dismissed him as never going to be a major league player.

But last year, the end of the year, the Rangers gave Cruz 30-35 games where Cruz was going to start, and he was going to start every game. If Cruz was to get it, he was going to get it now. If he couldn't make it, then at least the Rangers would know.

Cruz started slow (went 0-19 after his first MLB game, I think) but he adjusted, and now he's the starting RF for the Rangers.

Sure, its baseball to basketball. Some might call it apples to oranges. But to me, these guys situations are similar: insane talent/potential, but could never make it as a key player until someone committed to giving him playing time.

I'm not sure that this is the right time to do it, with 9 games left in the season. But whether he re-signs or goes elsewhere, he needs someone to be committed to getting him minutes and he might just make it.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote