View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
1) He recently played significant minutes in really important games - Den, GSW, CLE. In all of them (even where his numbers looked good vs GSW), he made a ton of poor decisions. It really killed us in the Den game - about 5-8 wasted possessions.
Before anything, I'll concede that Green took some bad shots. I'm not going to go all homer-y and say that everything Green does is perfect.

However...

*Often, Green is put in with a non-scoring lineup. Since Green has the reputation as a scorer, players try to feed him the ball. This results in a couple things: Green is played tighter as the defenses don't have to worry so much about the other players, and Green is forced to put up shots because no one else will.

*Other times, when Green is in with scorers, he never touches the ball. I can vividly remember a game where Green came in for 4 minutes and never touched the ball on the offensive end. Dirk and JJ took most of the shots, which is OK because Dirk is Dirk and JJ is a scorer.

*Green has taken several shot clock beaters, usually when he is passed to with seconds left. That skews his stats.

*He wants to score so to impress Carlisle because he wants minutes...

*...and so if he got some more consistant minutes maybe Green wouldn't feel as pressured to score, thus would make better decisions and shots. Also, playing time may help his decision making.

And if you want proof that not getting consistent minutes might mess with Green's decision making: In the game I mentioned earlier when Green played 4 minutes and didn't touch the ball, he didn't play the next game either. Or the one after that. Don't you think he might be thinking, "Had I scored once or twice in those 4 minutes, maybe I'd be playing now not sitting. Next time, I have to try to score, or coach will just bench me for another couple weeks."

Quote:
2) People on this board have been calling for significant minutes all season.
3) There are a TON of ways to get better outside of playing in a game. Watch film. Teach yourself new moves. Practice old moves. Shoot a ton of jumpshots. Scrimmages. D-League. I admit that getting significant, consistent game time is also important to a player's development, but you have to at least not suck.
4) I'd rather see more Wright or even Matt Carroll than him in non-garbage minutes.
5) Boo hoo, I'm "picking" on a guy that makes $800k this year. Everyone is fair game.
We don't want significant minutes. Just 5-8 minutes on a consistent basis each night. Bigger roles if he's playing well and/or we are playing a team where we need his athleticism.

According to every source I've seen, Green is a great worker who stays after practice, comes early, listens to the coaches, etc etc. I think he's close to as good as he can get by just practice.

Wright gets minutes. Green is not here to take away Wright's minutes. Rather, take away some JJ minutes, please! At least on nights JJ can't score, because if JJ can't score he's worse than useless.

You know who you're picking on? You're picking on a guy who hasn't got many shots to defend himself. You know, I can take shots at a guy all day if his hands and feet are tied. But if he is ever allowed to get loose of those knots, he may just deliver a pretty hefty shot back.

Last edited by tcat075; 04-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote