View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #53
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to take anything away from your thread, Murph. I definitely agree with the "take what the defense gives you" gameplan in using Dirk this series, but I do think that Carlisle can get him a few more looks on the 3-point line.

I believe it is one thing we can use as an advantage with the big German. So far this series Dirk has taken only 7 3-point shot attempts and missed all of them (mainly because I don't think it's in the gameplan for him to be taking any of those shots right now.

It's not like he is incapable of taking those shots. At times it makes me sad that we have drifted from his pure shooting talents, and aggressively tried to turn him into a "true PF"--especially in terms of where he's playing on the offensive side of the court.

IMO, occasionally putting Dirk on the perimeter can:
- Spread the floor, giving our players a bit more room to work when the Spurs give Dirk too much attention. It may just be 1 extra step that Spurs defenders have to take to rotate, but just like football, basketball is also a game of inches. One step in the NBA is goes far.
- ^ In relation, make it harder on the double team to come help. It's ballsy to come trap on the perimeter...especially when it's a 7-footer.
- This might sound crazy, but Dirk is one of the few big men (if not the only) that I would still feel comfortable with driving from the 3-point line...(or jump-faking, taking a step in, and then popping a midrange).
- Prevent idiots like Boner and Bowen from "bodying up," or being overtly physical with Dirk. My thought on this is that more touch fouls/hand checks are called on the perimeter as opposed to the elbows or around the block. Seriously, I would like to see Boner try to do his retarded "fronting" of Dirk on the 3-point line--that'd just be silly...
- Bring back the Mavs Money Ball!

Once again, I'm not saying the current gameplan is ineffective at all. I just thought that it would be interesting to see how occasionally mixing in the above could benefit Dirk's game. Feel free to disagree with what I've said. I'd actually like to see what anybody else thinks about periodically bringing the 3-ball back to Dirk...or if you even think it would be effective.

I mean, come on...this is the most versatile 7-footer the game of basketball has ever seen...

Go Mavs!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote