Thread: Kidd Talk
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #70
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
Of course. It's an audience of Mavs fans, wanting to know what are the chances of Kidd staying. But the points are factual, not skewed - the Mavs have all the cards here.

Four reasons why those aren't at the forefront:
1. If the payday is the same, then yes "better chance for a title" will certainly have the edge.
2. He can get no guarantees of a ring, no matter where he signs. If he takes half price and then doesn't get a ring, isn't he doubly screwed? Or what if he gets traded after taking a discount? The only guarantee is the money.
3. He just went through a divorce about a yr ago and lost major assets. A man in that situation isn't giving discounts on his last opportunity for a big payday as he tries to rebuild his financials. Never.
4. But to me, the key is this: Every statement and angle by Kidd over the last 3-4 years has subtly been about him getting this next deal. He's never said he is open to taking less than the best deal he can land. It's always been about the money (and why shouldn't it be, it's his job). So if you think it's REALLY about other things, you're tricking yourself; it's never changed.

My answer - they will be irrelevant. It's going to be about the money. Which is why explaining the money was the focus of what I wrote.

Now, if those players can bring MONEY to the equation, where it's only about recruiting and the money is pretty close to the same, that's a different matter. But the money will be what shapes his choices, and the Mavs are in control.
Good points, DLord, thanks for sharing that info. The financial hit from the divorce especially makes a lot of sense. I'm looking forward to reading your articles as this story progresses.

Hopefully we'll be able to keep Kidd here and nab a couple other quality players so he can have the best of both worlds ... a good contract and a championship level team.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote