View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #102
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So the consensus here is that the Mavs should stop whining about the refs and start throwing elbows???

Maybe pro wrestling and basketball aren't so different after all...
Apparently that seems to be the idea being tossed around. I don't agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
That was pretty painful to watch, but I can't say I'm surprised. I really hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't think we have much of a chance in this series. A chance, sure, but just not a very good one.

Denver's roster is just more stacked than ours. They've got scorers at every position, and they're a better defensive team.

We've got to do better on Nene, though. If we can hold him to single digits, then we might have a shot. Oh yeah, and 20 turnovers, 8 of them from our starting PG, doesn't help either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Here's what really scares me after this game: I don't know how the Mavs can defeat what the Thuggets were doing to them today. And I don't think they do either.

If they take it inside, the shot just gets blocked. Every time. They can't get to the rim because every time they do they block it. It's in their head too, and I think that accounts of a lot of the sloppy play at the end of the game. They were so worried about getting blocked they forgot to take care of the ball.
I think the ending totally negates what most people saw for 3 quarters. This game was back and forth for about 30 minutes...maybe 36 tops. In spite of the bad defense in the paint and the FT/Foul issue, the game was still close. Then they hit that stretch where the wheels came off and they had the stretch of not scoring and turning the ball over:
12 possessions, 0-6 and six turnovers. That's game over right there.

I think we can still find ways to compete. They might have us outgunned but our guns could easily pack just as much of a punch as their guys. One of the problems is the 3 point shot doesn't seem like much of a weapon after game 1. You have to see if that's a trend or how you can free that up.

Getting deep in the paint was a concern I've mentioned, it's not a new problem though. Jet specifically had that problem in the Spurs series. The wing defenders weren't able to keep up with him but they had help with their last line of defense. They've gotta be ready to STOP at about 5 feet or so and pull up for the jumper or be ready to pass the ball for when the defense collapses on them. That'll help reduce the blocks and it might even create more 3 point opportunities.

I still think we have a chance to be competitive and take the series. I said Mavs in 7...so I knew this wouldn't be easy if it was going to get done.