View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #837
dNG
Banned

dNG is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremaine View Post
I'll be dangerously honest and admit my primary objective in this game besides rooting for the Mavs was to decide once and for all whether the Nuggets pose any serious threat to the Lakers.

Note: I am NOT a fan of the Lakers, I'm not really a fan of any one team anymore. I'm just a fan of basketball, and of basketball being different from football, that is it.

The Nuggets are winning on the cheap and they are winning without any offensive scheme other than easy, cheap points off fast breaks. This is exactly like a football team relying on it's defense to get some stops (yielding better field position) and a turover or two or three. Then the offense of that football team has very little to do to win the game. Many, many games in football are won this way, maybe as many as 1/3 of them.

Although everyone knows defending is more intense and more important in the playoffs than it is in the regular season, it is not true that Championships or Conference finals have been won to any extent at all by teams doing what the Nuggets are doing. Were the Nuggets to beat both the Mavs and the Lakers, it would truly be a science fiction type of event.

So all the Lakers (or the Mavs, still) have to do is to man up and take care of the ball. This is not as difficult for a team to do as it may seem from watching the Nuggets games lately. The Nuggets have temporarily created an alternate universe here, where basketball is different than in our universe.

So I am confident that even if the Mavs keep turning it over, even if the Mavs keep being heavily victimized by the free points of the fast break, and even if the Mavs keep being hammered by the referees, so they lose this series 4-1 or whatever, that the Lakers will defeat the Nuggets and restore my faith in basketball.

Go Mavs, you have a good, quality team regardless of what happens in this series. Your team looked great for three quarters (again) and then the 4th turned goofy and didn't seem like basketball anymore.
I'm not sure, but I think even Mavs Fans agree that this is bullshit.

1) If you think that fast breaks are cheap, then my friend, you do not know basketball. Don't tell me that you don't know that fast breaks take a lot of qualities, such as speed n' hustle, offensive awareness, passing, team work, athleticism, and defense to begin with.

2) WTF are you talking about? There's nothing such as teams winning by "what the Nuggets are doing", you want a championship, you go out there and win games, instead of whining around like a queer. The Nuggets are utilizing their strengths, and exploiting the other teams' weakness inorder to win. That's not cheap, that's how you win games. If they force a turnover, what are they supposed to do? Wait for their opponent to get back on defense or try to score while the other team is still out of complete orientation? If you choose the former over the latter, then again my friend, you don't know basketball.

3) Yeah, the Mavs were just giving the ball to the Nuggets, I mean why would they want to take care of the ball? It's just the second round of the playoffs... Dude, "taking care of the ball" is nothing easy at all, under a defense like Denver's. It's easier said than done to "Man up and take care of the ball".. and lol, a "an alternate universe", what's your problem? Most retarded statement I've heard in a while, made it hard for me to continue taking you seriously.

4) "Even"?, there is no "even" here, fast breaks and free throws are a constant part of basketball.. and to the referees part, stop whining. And if the Nuggets win 4-1, and lose to the Lakers, what does that have to do with your faith in basketball? Can someone tell what this guy's problem is?

5) Let's take a look at game 2, first quarter: 30-22 Nuggets, second quarter: 33-28 Mavericks, third quarter: 28-28. Nuggets win even if you put out the 4th, failure. Also, the 4th quarter is a normal part of the game.

Last edited by mary; 05-09-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: language
dNG is offline   Reply With Quote