Thread: Injuries Update
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #80
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Time not on the Mavericks' side?

Mavericks have to worry about outlasting injuries and the Spurs

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON – One race wasn't enough for the Mavericks.

Matching wins with San Antonio will be difficult enough, for sure. But with 17 games left in the regular season, the Mavericks have another chase that probably trumps the battle with the Spurs for the best record in the Western Conference.

They must win the race against time.

In little more than a month, the playoffs begin. The clock is ticking on getting a playoff rotation set. Before Avery Johnson can do that, he must get some players healthy. And that is the overriding issue in the locker room.

"Yeah, it would be great to have the No. 1 seed and have home court throughout the playoffs," Jerry Stackhouse said. "But that could all be gone in one game. We got to worry about hopefully having our guys come back and trying to have enough games to get them in a good rhythm going into the playoffs with some continuity.

"Last year going into the playoffs, the last 17, 18 games, we were pretty damn good. Now it's a question who we'll have and how much we can expect from them. So we got concerns. But at the same time, some other guys are stepping up."

But Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell and D.J. Mbenga – willing and able helpers during this injury crunch – are not supposed to be the heavy lifters come playoff time.

The aches and pains to starters Josh Howard and Adrian Griffin, as well as key reserves Devin Harris and Keith Van Horn, have shifted the focus as the Mavericks arrive in Washington for the middle leg of their three-game trip.

San Antonio? The Mavericks will worry about the Spurs if they get to the last week or two of the season and the issue still isn't settled.

"I don't think anybody's thinking about that right now," Stackhouse says. "We want to win every game we play and not worry about what San Antonio does. They might win every game they play. So what?

"We're dealing with so many little things with guys coming in and contributing. As far as the standings go, we're a playoff team, so either way we're going to line up against somebody."

In the interim, they are adjusting on the fly as they plug holes.

"We're not going to make excuses," Erick Dampier said. "You put five players on the court, regardless of who's hurt. Obviously, we have enough talent to win."

Making a late run: Marshall will continue to start until Adrian Griffin is ready to return.

Owner Mark Cuban joked after Marshall's season-best 12 points against Houston on Wednesday that the 6-6 guard is "trying to make that all-rookie team with a late push."

Johnson just wants to see solid play.

"I told Rawle not to do anything fancy," Johnson said. "Just keep it simple."

Said Marshall: "I had a bunch of great players in front of me. I just waited my turn. Unfortunately they got hurt, and this is my chance. I just want to get out and help."

M-V-P, M-V-P: Dirk Nowitzki might be swaying MVP votes with every city he visits in the last month of the season.

"They always want to talk about the other guys in the MVP race, and they put him in the "also mentioned" category," Johnson said. "But there's not one coach in the league I don't think that wouldn't want to have him on their team."

Coast to coast: Only three days after arriving in Dallas from Sacramento, the Mavericks touched down in the nation's capital. Tonight against the Wizards, they will play in their fourth time zone in a week.

"We don't make excuses," Johnson said. "We started off in the Central time zone, went [Pacific], came back to the Mountain, back west, now we're heading to the East Coast. That's part of the NBA.

"But I never give this team a reason for excuses. Obviously, I realize some of the circumstances. But I will not compromise our vision or our system just because we have a few guys out."

Briefly: If you can't get enough of Cuban, FSNSW will air two previously recorded interviews with the owner after tonight's game. "Beyond the Glory – Mark Cuban" is scheduled for 9 p.m., and the Chris Myers interview with Cuban is set for 10:30 p.m. ... If you're into March Madness of a different kind, the Mavericks' dancers are in the second round of the NBA dancers' tournament. You can help fill out the brackets by voting. Look for the link at mavs.com.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote