View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Borbon is a much better defensive outfielder than Murphy. So it's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be.

So the guy that in Spring Training couldn't even be trusted defensively per his own manager is now leaps and bounds better than Murphy? Better? Sure, I gave you that, but much better? In LF? I say LF because he damn sure isn't as good as Hamilton.

My main reason for wanting to play Borbon is that I don't want Hamilton in center. Hamilton in left and Boron in center is a defensive upgrade at both positions, and if Borbon can come close to carrying his weight offensively I think it's worth doing.

But Hamilton in CF is a defensive upgrade over Borbon and the offense Murphy gives you exceeds what Borbon gives you by more than Borbon's defense exceeds Murphy's (in my humble opinion).

Borbon's situation is different than Murph's. Murph had already established himself as what he was, a borderline 3/4 outfielder. Borbon is a well above average defensive outfielder, a first rounder pick and a guy that if he can hit will be an above average starting centerfielder for a long time. You're going to stunt his growth by making him a reserve.

Again, his own manager referenced in spring training that he couldn't defend well enough to even be trusted in CF but now he is Carl Crawford. OK. And just because Murphy's career shows that he is a 4th outfielder doesn't mean he wasn't just behind some talented guys and was never fully given an opportunity. Again, give him time in AAA to bust the hell out, if he can. If he shows remarkable stats in AAA bring him back up and give him some starts, but make the kid earn it.

Now, obviously at this point player growth is not the focus. But you need to balance the priorities a little bit so you don't turn a potentially valuable piece into a career utility outfielder.

Exactly! You know, what you are suggesting we continue to do with Murphy. Seems like what he had done to him is what you are clamoring against doing to Borbon. Bottom line, one is better than the other now and if we are in the IT'S TIME stage, play the better player until the other guy is ready to take his spot.

This argument is also why I don't want to bring Vlad back. I want the DH spot to be open so that all of our outfielders get enough playing time.

There is an argument there, no doubt. I just think the offense is helped so much more with Young at 1B, Vlad at DH, Beltre at 3B, and Murphy at LF. So much more than the defense would be helped by Borbon at CF (Hamilton in LF of course), Beltre at 3B, Young at DH, and Moreland at 1B.
Comments above.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote