View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #249
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Mavs @ New Orleans Gameday thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB

No, I do not agree. It's way too early in the season for Benga to be getting any minutes outside of garbage time unless we absolutely have to have him. We didn't this game. Developing Benga is important, but in the big picture it's of only relatively small importance to developing the team as a whole. Playing Benga would have been sacrificing team development for his personal development and would have been a mistake IMO.
Then thats where you and I disagree. You feel it's too early to see him on the floor, but I say a few minutes wouldn't hurt his development. In fact, I would argue it would be beneficial.
You're talking about hurting Benga's development, and I don't think a few minutes would hurt HIS development. However, Benga's development isn't among my chief concerns. We have a couple of years to develop him and ideally we would be able to not play him for the next two years so that we don't lose him to free agency. However, that's besides the point. My chief concern is for the Mavs' as a team development. And the regular rotation guys need to get all the nongarbage time minutes until this team jells. We only have 5 players who were on the team last year and two of those were rookies last year. So we only have 3 players who have played for more than 1 season in a Mavs uniform. This team needs to get these players who will be playing minutes time together. Also now is not the time to fart around and lose a game so that you can develop your 3rd or 4th string center when you 1st and 2nd string center need developing with those same minutes. If I could get Damp 35 minutes per night and Bradley 25 per night without playing them together and without purposefully going into overtime I'd be happy. That's not possible. 2 games into the season is way too early to start farting around with a completely unproven rookie when there are two much better and much more capable players in front of him.