View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #107
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But if you hold onto Damp and still don't get Paul, then you deserve to be crucified...

Better to blow your load early than to go to sleep with blue balls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
The only thing that's supposedly changed is that Chris Paul has demanded to be traded. How are the Mavericks supposed to know what goes on in Chris Paul's head?
Again, not saying it's an easy decision or even completely fair to criticize them.

But the entire focus of the Mavs front office is to stay in position to acquire a superstar if one ever comes available. And if one comes available so quickly, and the difference in not getting him ends up being that they traded Damp a week too soon, I don't really see how it makes sense to let them off the hook for that. Again, it's their job to read the market.

I imagine it's all moot, because I have to believe they talked to New Orleans and were told that either:

A. They're not ever, under any circumstances trading Chris Paul, no matter what he says (most likely).

B. If they do ever trade Paul, they're looking for more young talent than the Mavs have, and aren't that interested in a salary dump (seems plausible)

C. They don't really see much distinction between the instant expiring of Damp and a true expiring like Chandler (possible, I suppose).

I can't believe the Mavs traded Damp before getting concrete proof that one of those three scenarios was true.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote