View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #46
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:The 2003 NBA Draft revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by: foglemann
LRB, guess what, Marquis is only going into his third year, with about an eighth of the experience of Stack or Finley had in their respective first two years. How is it that Finley and Stack both got better after there first two years in the league and beyond, yet Marquis is not able to and hence can't get on the court to get better. So the guy has to be on the bench forever cause he can't hit the three and doesnt have a top 10 FT% in the league. He's not going to get better by sitting on the bench. Neither of Stack nor Finley had to when they got into the league, cause they were both on crap teams. Marquis has been buried because he's on a consistent playoff team and shined when he is given the time to do so on the court. He has his shortcomings, for sure, but I see them as things he can improve on and still be more productive than Stack or Finley if given the exact same time in a game. Finley and Stack are who they are cause they have been in the league for a long time. Until Marquis is a six or seven year player, and still hasn't gotten better, then I will write him off as who he is, but until then, I have all the confedence in the world that he will improve his game and get better each year.

This is rediclous, I don't understand why you expect him to be perfect with hardly any experience.
1) there is absolutely expectation that Marquis be perfect, no play has been, is, or likely will be.
2) No one is asking Marquis to be in the top 10% of FT shooters to set foot on the court. What is being asked that he be better than the average 2 guard at FT% before getting Starters minutes. Marquis should have to earn his minutes. And if we have better talent, then he should sit and wait his turn. This is a team that had the 4th best record in the NBA last year. Marquis is hear to help the Mavs not the other way around.
3) as far as Marquis being more productive, I haven't seen any numbers from last year to indicate this. Maybe it's a hunch you have. And it's even possible you're right. However, most of the imperical evidences suggests that the Mavs would be better prepared to contend for a championship next season keeping Fin and keeping Marquis as a bench player.