Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #257
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Going to be in the minority here, but we might look back on Brunson walking (if he does) as the best thing to ever happen in the Luka era. He's just an odd fit here.
That may be true, but the problem is, the Mavs can't turn around and use that money to improve other parts of the roster. You either re-sign Brunson, or you lose him for nothing. That's it. I think losing him for nothing would be a massive step backwards and would be borderline catastrophic. From a purely basketball standpoint, and also from a perception standpoint. He was easily the second best player on the team this year, and next year he'll still be the second or third best player. You don't lose one of your top three players and not feel the pain.

Re-sign him. I don't care how much of an overpay it is. You can always shed salary if you need to. Every team has bad contracts. And if it turns out the team has better options in the future, then he is not untradeable, no matter how much he's getting paid. Far worse players on worse contracts than his get traded all the time.

If the Mavs can trade him and get something of value for him, I'm very eager to hear those options. But losing him for nothing is NOT an option the Mavs should remotely entertain.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote