Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #268
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I actually see the total opposite of this. If we were the 7th seed, then we NEED Brunson just to stay relevant. That's not the team now. We were still the 5th seed when Brunson was a nice 12 ppg backup pg two seasons ago who didn't show up in the playoffs.

Again, I want to keep Brunson at basically any cost, but I don't see the logic on it setting us so far back if he walks. Losing the future trade trip would be the biggest loss, but we weren't exactly a peasant team before his emergence.

Brunson was middling vs Phx and GS as well. I don't know if we're having this conversation on how badly we need him if it wasn't for the Jazz series. And yes, we don't even make it out of the first round without him. I just don't think we're back to the dark ages if he goes to NY.

I have every confidence in Nico to pivot to something else.
You don't see the logic in losing your second best player for nothing being a step backwards? Also, remember that the Porzingis trade turned the whole season around, which was very underwhelming before that. The reason is because we desperately needed a third ballhandler, which Dinwiddie provides. If we lose Brunson, we're right back where we were.

I don't think we're back to the "dark ages." But I'm almost positive we're back to 6-7 seed range, and nowhere near the conference finals.

As Melonhead already said below, we can't just "pivot." The Mavs have extremely limited assets, and losing Brunson leaves us with even less. I don't think THJ gets us any of the players you named. If he could, I honestly think it would have already happened. Apparently Nico shopped THJ around all last season and nobody was interested.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-25-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote