View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #16
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Do The Right'er Thing
Dirk Scores 36 In Win At New York
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Now this is my favorite version of Dirk! He says all the right things. … and then DOES all the right’er things.

We are all too familiar with Deferential Dirk, that creature who politely moved though his NBA infancy passing up shots so buddies Nash and Finley could instead be the triggermen. This year’s edition of Nowitzki – Dirk 4.0 – has been similarly unselfish, but due (theoretically) to developing other Mavs weapons rather than because of reticence or lack of confidence.

Monday in New York, though, capped a three-day period during which Dirk celebrated the notion that Josh Howard is suddenly this team’s Batman. “With him playing the way he is, there's no need for us to be out there competing for shots,’’ Nowitzki had said. “That would be the wrong thing. He's playing great, and whenever the team needs me, I'll try to be there.’’ But then the MVP victimized the Knicks in a 99-89 win by demonstrating that he, Nowitzki, can still be The UberMan.

Say the right thing.

Then do the right’er thing.

Nowitzki finished with a season-high 36 points. He did so by scoring 15 of Dallas’ first 28 first-quarter points. He did so by “out-quicking’’ New York’s bulky front line featuring Zach Randolph. He also contributed some truly gorgeous passes – making it easy to forget that this magic was being performed by a 7-footer. He hustled on defense and on the boards, contributing seven rebounds, four assists and two steals. (The boxscore.)

“He came out with the type of game we wanted him to have tonight," coach Avery Johnson said. "We wanted him to come out and really establish himself."

One game after J-Ho dazzled with a career-high 47 points against Utah, Nowitzki made it clear that he’s willing to concede only SOME of his position atop the Dallas totem pole.

Madison Square Garden is a troubled place right now. (see BLOGFISH). But the only problems the Mavs had there came late, when Avery was ready to rest Nowitzki and others – with 15 minutes left in the game, Dallas was up 23 – but some members of the supporting cast failed to focus on the coach’s suddenly ballyhooed “short-term goals.’’

"The last three minutes of the third quarter were absolutely pathetic," Johnson said. "Guys who were in there let the whole team down. We can't afford to do that."

So instead, Nowitzki had to play 39 minutes. Howard had to play 42 (on his way to 22 points). Ol’ Jerry Stackhouse had to play 31. And Johnson’s plan to use the final quarter as a test run for the rehabbed Devean George flopped.

"We had some individuals that let him (George) down," fumed Johnson. "They didn't carry their weight out there on the floor while they were in there, and they know who they are."

I think I know who some of them are, too. I think Stack, Jet, Diop and Bass might have been among the Mavs who, um, downshifted prematurely. And yeah, J-Ho, too.

Still, the Mavs (14-8) were clearly more intense on defense, holding the lowly Knicks to 29-percent shooting in the first half. The emphasis on a quick start was fulfilled, too, as the Mavs got off to a 7-1 lead and were ahead 15 points in the second quarter. Securing wins against inferior teams, on the road, from the East? Check, check, check. And making sure Dirk stayed involved? He took 10 of the team’s first 19 shots and ended 14-of-23.

"We just need to be mentally tougher, everyone from one to five," said Nowitzki, once again saying the right thing. … and hopefully on track to keep doing the right’er thing.

938am dec 11 2007
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote