View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #175
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think the odds of JB not returning are higher than people think.

Mavs are in the tax with or without JB. Re-signing Brunson to 20-25 would put us in absolute cap hell and guarantee a repeat tax and severe league punishments.

I'd like to think Cuban would pay, but you never know. If we somehow lose in the first round again, then the odds are much lower.

That's why I think our draft pick is so important. Having cheap players on rookie contracts really helps. We may trade that pick for some cap relief, though. Dumping THJ/Bertans would definitely help.
I am by no means a salary cap guru or even have a working knowledge of how the convoluted system works, but it seems to me that Powell + Kleber = $20M that is only committed for 2022-2023. Boban + Sterling Brown + Frank = another $6-7M that goes off the books in that same timeframe. So, wouldn't the extreme tax only be for one year?

Last edited by purplefrog; 04-27-2022 at 12:15 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote