View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #40
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Would we care more if he rangers were not in the World Series?

I know this is a Cowboy thread but watching the game last nite wasn't as bad only b/c of the Rangers
Nah, truthfully I gave up on their season after the loss last week. I was pissed as hell prior to that even with the Rangers in the playoffs. Sure, maybe it removes some of the sting, but the truth of the matter is that even with a win last night and no Romo injury, it would have been a long uphill climb to win the division or even get a wild card spot (1 back in the loss column and 2 back in the win column). One that, if we fell just short of, would give us a middle to late round pick instead of a top 5 pick.

As it stands now, we have the potential to pull a move out of the Spurs' hat and draft a true stud, get Romo back, have a coaching staff that demands excellence and holds people accountable, and truly find ourselves right back in contention for a Super Bowl.

This team is talented. We need safety help and offensive line help primarily (improved DE play and a great ILB would be nice if none of the youth pans out, but I think Lee will for sure). I would LOVE to see a stud OT drafted in the top-5 to team with Free; however, this upcoming draft doesn't really have a T worthy of a top-10 pick.

Maybe a true stud CB that could move Newman to the nickel CB or possibly FS (and limit Scandrick to backup/injury minutes ONLY) to improve our secondary (which was obviously picked to pieces last night) would be a smart way to go. If we did that and then signed a top-tier SS in the offseason (or even spent a top-4 pick on one) we would greatly improve our secondary and, as a direct result, our overall defense.

If we do go defense in the 1st we would almost have to pick an OL with each of the next 3 picks. With that said, considering our high draft pick likelihood, the 2nd round pick is basically a 1st round pick from where we expected to be picking, the 3rd is basically a 2nd, and so on. So considering the first OL might not be selected until pick 15 we might have a good chance at getting whoever would be "our guy" with our 2nd round choice.

A dream scenario for me for rounds 1-4 would be as follows:

1st round: CB - Patrick Peterson/Prince Amukamara (instant starter opposite Jenkins and push Newman to Nickel CB or FS)
2nd round: OT - DeMarcus Love (instant starter at LT or RT)
3rd round: OG - Orlando Franklin (depending on direction with Kosier/Davis and FA, potential starter)
4th round: OG - Stephen Schilling (depth/spot starter)

We could also move down from the top 5 to roughly the 15th pick or so to get the top OT on the board (likely Castonzo or Sherrod) and then look CB or S in the 2nd (or both) while using the 3rd and 4th on internal lineman. Or we could look at FA for both OL and DB help and draft the best players available. A lot of options...

No doubt though, picking in the top 5 is like having two first rounders so we should be greatly improved after next year's draft. Add that with Romo's health and a new coaching staff and there is reason to be excited for 2011 and beyond.