View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #1567
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So Fish mentioned today an idea that I've been kicking around myself...the Mavs trying to trade for Gortat in the offseason (after July 13th they can acquire him).

Here's what I'm hoping for: Orlando, by paying him a lot of money yet not playing him at all, renders him a none-too-desirable trade commodity; yet his disgruntlement, and the luxury tax, force Otis to look for a trade partner.

In steps Donnie Nelson and says, "Otis, you a-hole, let me help you out of this pickle you're in."

Matt Carroll and a S&T James Singleton at the vet minimum to Orlando for Gortat.

This trade isn't about talent; Carroll is nothing more than a trade chip, with his shrinking contract (and lack of basketball ability). Singleton? Love his hustle...but there's just no minutes for him on this team anymore.

So what does Orlando get out of it? Savings of $16MM over the next four seasons, double that if they remain in LT territory. The Mavs, of course, get a guy they still believe can be our Center of the future, for the price of some leftover scraps that we were just going to throw away anyway at some point.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote