View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #1387
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I disagree with the "point-blank period"

1) Rule/reffing changes saw the biggest year-over-year increase in OFFRTG, PPG, and TS% in league history. The NBA gimped defense. It wasn't just us that slid back. The NBA prioritized offense and made defenses harder.

2) But you are right, personnel contributed. Kidd somehow built a defense out of our crappy pieces. It was like a popsicle stick bridge that somehow supported the weight, but between rule changes and #3, it just fell apart.

3) Luka has been atrocious defensively. Some of that is his conditioning. Some of that is that he was run into the ground. He plays every summer and then he was run into the ground on offense the first 60 games.

4) Center - this is a personnel issue but also a rules change issue. The rule changes mean that the only way teams can have a change of keeping teams under 120pts is help-defense from the front court. Our PF/C position absolutely blows. I love Wood, but he is allergic to help defense. Kleber is gimpy. Powell was always the worst defensive big since LaFrentz.

Good teams have bigs that contribute and defend. Just look at the league's top teams right now

Nuggets - Jokic is MVP contenders and they have long, forwards that help defend
76ers - Embiid is dominant and they have length and defense at SF and PF
Bucks - best-in-the-league help defender, and epitome of long, strong defensive forward (Giannis)
Celts - Harford is okay. Tatum again is that long, strong defensive forward.
Cavs - Allen and Mobley
Grizz - good centers, perfect defensive support PF (Jackson Jr.)
Kings - Sabonis and Murray

You can't be a good team without being good at PF and C. Mavs just happen to be terrible at both.
I can lend some credence to the rule changes. It's just that when other teams do it better with the same changes, I look back at personnel. You nailed it with Luka needing to be better and our big situation needing a desperate upgrade. I'd add a need for improvement on wing defense. Would like to add someone to compete with Green for a starting wing spot. Bullock should be relegated to the 2nd unit as he's limited in his offensive abilities.

Bullock and Powell are fine as depth guys, but they've started an insane amount of games this season out of pure necessity.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote