View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #4060
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
When I read that Dirk turned down a max deal I had no idea that he turned down a 4 year offer from the Lakers worth upwards of $80 million. That is crazy! I love this guy!

Did he leave approximately $12 million on the table for this first season of the 3 year deal? If so, I look at it as if the team payroll should be roughly $80.75 million for the players we have signed. I am not keeping under consideration how Jameer Nelson, Richard Jefferson, Devin Harris, and Al-Farouq Aminu all took less money to also play with Dirk and the Mavericks. None of course took as much of a financial hit as Dirk did, but Dirk is smart and understands how by sticking with Cuban he has been set for life.

The Big 3 on the Spurs could certainly have also taken more money, and that payroll would likely have been close to $85 million. My point is that aside from the New York teams we have two of the biggest top dollar teams in this state of Texas. It'll be one hell of a year for us!
That really is amazing that Dirk took such a huge paycut to help his team. It shows tremendous character and loyalty. Dirk is pure class, and I think every NBA fan knows that.

BUT... isn't it kind of sad that he has to take a giant pay cut at this point in his career to keep his team competitive? Doesn't seem right to me. To me it's an indication of how screwed up the NBA's business model is. People like to criticize players like Kobe or Carmelo for not taking huge paycuts, and yes, maybe that is selfishness or greed on their parts. But still, I feel like a player's salary should be proportionate to what they produce. I don't think franchise players should have to take massive pay cuts so the team can afford to grossly overpay for role players. An all-time great like Dirk shouldn't have to take a massive pay cut so Cuban can afford to overpay Chandler Parsons or whoever else.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote