Thread: Mike Bibby?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 06:41 AM   #17
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default RE:Mike Bibby?

"We all agree that JET doesn't push the ball when he should, but that's not the main reason Jet struggled at point"

"This team and it's fans were simply used to having Steve Nash. That's why we had such problems at point this year; not because Terry is a bad point guard, but because we still had Nellie's overly-complicated offense."

I didn't see any overly-complicated offense during the playoffs. It was simply Terry not pushing the ball when he should, Terry shooting amazingly, but Terry not knowing when to penetrate (against Phoenix), and how to set up his teammates. If I'd seen a Chauncey Billups at the point, I'd be happy like hell! He knows how to organize a offense.

"If Bibby or Billups were put into Nellie's ridiculously complicated offense, and had spent their careers in Atlanta, having never been expected to be an actual point guard, I guarantee you, they would struggle too."

Jason Terry was the point guard last season with the exception of the 27 games, when Bob Sura was in town. Jason Terry was the point guard when he had Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Glenn Robinson and Theo Ratliff on his side. In 2002-2003. HE WAS THE POINT GUARD ALL THE TIME. 2001-2002, 2000-2001 even 1999-2000 he did play point guard during his 25 minutes on the court.

And if you say something like on such a team nobody would pass the ball if he has a shot like Terry. Here'd be my response: In four of his five years at Atlanta he shot a lower FG-percentage then his teammates. So why shouldn't he play more of a natural point guard in Atlanta, like Brevin Knight did in Charlotte...?

And there is a reason why Billups and Bibby didn't have to spend their whole career in Atlanta...

Uh, last I heard, Dirk was a power forward. Can you name a better passing center than Miller? Most centers are horrible passers. The list becomes even shorter when you're talking about the playoffs. The only other two centers who can pass anywhere near as well as Miller are Shaq and Yao.

Yes Shaq is a surely way better passer than Miller is and I didn't mention anything about Dirk being a center in my post. The only thing I wanted to show, is that Terry had a passer like Miller as well on his team and Brad Miller doesn't play like a center anyways... He standing near the free-Trowline passing the ball around and taking the open jumper. He's superb at that. Btu he isn't passing is like Shaq from the center-position... And if you look at Shaq you can see that Miller isn't the best passing center in the league today.

"Why would having a good passer on his team hurt his assist total? Having C-Webb and Vlade never hurt his assist numbers."

In Vancouver he (Bibby) averaged 8 APG. As soon as he played with the passing big men Webber and Divac he couldn't dish out more than 5.4 APG anymore. Now that the're gone he is on his way back and had 6.8 Assists this season. Oh, by the way Divac is a better passer than Miller as well. And more of a pure center as well...

So after all your points, I'm asking the question why would you say something like:

"Jet has gotten so much flack for not being a "true" point guard, but frankly the guy isn't any less of a point guard than guys like Bibby, Parker, or Chauncey Billups."

The only reason for that could be the stats, because they look pretty equal in the beginning, I mean only 1.5 APG or so... So that's how I came to the conclusion. The simple fact that Terry couldn't controll the pace, didn't know when to pass and when to drive, and how to find the open man during the playoffs stays and whatever you want to say, it's clearly wrong to consider Billups or Bibby equal as pure point guards to Terry who is a f'ing shooting-point-guard.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote