View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #45
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
You can do better than that. I think we should let this community decide whether or not it's the way to go to discuss (or even, God forbid, appreciate) JJB instead of immediately declaring this or any other thread as not worthy of being existent at all and thus discourage users from starting new threads in general. If the community wants to discuss something, it will discuss it and thereby justify the new thread. If the community doesn't want to, the thread will go down pretty soon.

Again, I pretty much love the fact that this forum's discussions are structured the way they are. However, I don't have a problem with new threads as long as they make sense and lead to an interesting debate. That's why we should all be interested in not creating an environment that keeps readers and potential contributors from starting new threads simply because of being afraid of some sort of backlash from other (established) users.
Thats the problem - the JJB thread only existed in the first place because original poster wanted to make a whole new thread in response to a single post in another thread. He didn't want to start a fresh discussion on a new topic - he wanted to be SEEN, otherwise his post would have been buried in the original thread because it was irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Some people treat starting a new thread the same as typing in all caps, as if stating an opinion LOUDER makes it more relevant...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote