View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #35
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
it's frustrating to read such out and out misinformation....or, as obama puts it well, those "trying to score cheap political points".

here, I'll go out of character and show how people can "score cheap political points" on palin:
sarah palin wants to punish women who are violently attacked by criminals with palin forcing these women to carry to full term the daily reminder of their abuse, palin does so by not allowing these victims to terminate a pregnancy caused by the horrendous act that they were subjected to. sarah palin is sentencing these victims of crimes to not only mental anguish on a daily basis, but also the possibility of health problems that many times are associated with the pregnancy. sarah palin is comfortable sacrificing the mother. how evil she is!

do you like them apples? that's exactly how you distort obama's position.

barack obama is not in favor of "infanticide", and has stated his position on partial birth abortions clearly:

On an issue like partial birth abortion, I strongly believe that the state can properly restrict late-term abortions. I have said so repeatedly. All I've said is we should have a provision to protect the health of the mother, and many of the bills that came before me didn't have that.

Part of the reason they didn't have it was purposeful, because those who are opposed to abortion have a moral calling to try to oppose what they think is immoral. Oftentimes what they were trying to do was to polarize the debate and make it more difficult for people, so that they could try to bring an end to abortions overall.

As president, my goal is to bring people together, to listen to them, and I don't think that's any Republican out there who I've worked with who would say that I don't listen to them, I don't respect their ideas, I don't understand their perspective. And my goal is to get us out of this polarizing debate where we're always trying to score cheap political points and actually get things done.

Source: Fox News Sunday: 2008 presidential race interview Apr 27, 2008
Now you are opening a whole can of worms. I am a doctor and as such am well aware that every abortion done in this country has a medical record that says "For the psychological health of the mother... the procedure was done"

That is the problem. I agree with you that it makes sense to leave a clause in the law for the "health of the mother". There are definitely times when the mother is absolutely going to die and the awful choice comes up...
I do not have a problem with that.

But, the clause "for the health of the mother" is the very clause that is so abused. So, that is why us evil Republicans appear to be so evil about hating that clause...

I don't disagree with you Mavdog. But, I do disagree with how the clause "for the health of the mother" is actually used. That is the political problem. And, the left extreme group just loves to parade around and use the sort of attack that evil Republicans would let a mother die rather than seek an abortion.

I really liked OB/Gyn as a student in school. I loved delivering babies. But, because of the issues of abortion and frivolous lawsuits (every child not born perfectly healthy must be the doctor's fault, lets sue), I chose another specialty.

Now, back to Obama. Unless the media has been unfair, the report is that Obama has never voted against any abortion law. He has a perfect score from the Pro-Choice Special interest groups. He is their hero as much as Palin is their enemy.

I do not disagree with you Mavdog one iota in the details of your abortion stance as far as you have spelled out so far. I would be a moderate also.

But, let us review what the clause "medically necessary due to the health of the mother" means with a late term partial birth abortion. At that point, killing the baby does not help the mother's physical health at all for any reason. And, I literally can think of absolutely no physical health concern at that late stage in pregnancy where there would be a reason for the health of the mother to abort. There just is no advantage to a dead full term baby over a live full term baby... except for the "psychological health of the mother" who just found out that she hates the father because he is having sex with someone else...

In my opinion, that issue does warrant the "for the health of the mother" clause.

I have no personal problem with a lady who has been raped or undergone incest (rape also) having an abortion. Now, many women have chosen to give birth and put the baby up for adoption. I think that is noble but I would not look down on a rape victim whose pregnancy is due to rape having an abortion.

But, this is like the gunshow loophole we talked about. The aborted rape babies are a small fraction of the total. The legitimate "for the health of the mother" abortions are small fraction of the total.

If abortion was rare and restricted for true "for the health/life of the mother" and the rape/incest victim, then we would not be debating this like we are.

Sad thing is that you and I agree with each other on the details I think. At least, we are close on our personal views.

The issues I was debating had nothing to do with my personal thoughts. I was debating whether a moderate would be more attracted to Obama or Palin.

I would say the actual votes on the matter at this point demonstrate a shift to Palin.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote