Thread: JJB Sucks
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #94
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
IMO this has been the single biggest systemic problem with our team for years and years, even well before J-Kidd. We very frequently shut down on offense when a team with athletic players aggressively extends their defense out beyond the three point line and double teams Dirk wherever he goes. Denver 2009, NO 2008, GS 2007....you could go on and on. The Spurs beat us last year with a slightly different defensive strategy (i.e., simply mug Dirk wherever he goes, while otherwise playing fairly conservative defense), but other than that we haven't had a playoff exit since Miami that wasn't predicated substantially on us failing to respond to that type of defense.

We have the personnel now that this shouldn't be a pervasive issue anymore, so it's frustrating to see it still happen fairly regularly.
Obviously I agree...Getting Jkiddo was an attempt to alleviate that somewhat I expect and it does. But even Jkiddo cannot and should not be expected to bring the ball up against pressure defense all by himself.

Also in that sequence....why in hell aren't the mavs pushing the ball right back at them with passing! You can hardly ever beat an aggressive pressing defense with the dribble but the mavs being the vets that they are should certainly have been able to sit down and talk about what to do about bellinei smothering jkiddo up the floor.

To his credit Carlisle called two timeouts in that quarter but he didn't make any adjustment that helped the team out.

By my reading Jkiddo had 4 bad passes in that third quarter! Horrible and missed everything he shot it also appears. Terrible point guard play...But I still contend he was being asked to do something that is really tough and didn't have to.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote