View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #31
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
What are you on to, with the management? The Esteban pinch hit?

I hate to take the loss, but I'm not in tears about it. Hell, 3-2 game...you'd about expect that, out of the championship series, right?
While that most certainly isn't ALL that he did wrong, that was a major, major mistake to put Esteban in instead of Torrealba. He could have even kept Ogando in via the double switch had he wanted to and I doubt he even knew that. Instead he essentially uses who most of us consider his best bullpen arm for a third of an inning and then has to change to Mike HRzalez. Granted he and Feldman held the score at 3, but he still didn't manage his team well at all there.

In addition to that, he calls for a hit and run in the 1st instead of a simple bunt with one of the best bunters in baseball squashing an opportunity to let Josh and Beltre hit with a guy on 2nd. If that run gets knocked in and we jump off to an early lead who knows how the rest of the game goes.

Finally, changing the lineup was, in my opinion, stupid as hell. Anyone that follows this team closely knows that Cruz's spot in the lineup actually does affect him - more than anyone else I have ever come across in baseball. He was motivated and in a groove in the #7 spot and the reason he moves him is the lack of protection from #8? You mean, the same lack of protection we had previously? Hell, Moreland is essentially a pitcher hitting 9th anyway here lately - what the hell is the difference? You don't mess with a good thing and while Cruz definitely should be hitting higher, the motivation from being that low and his hot bat was reason enough not to touch him. Sure, Napoli hit a HR from that same spot and who knows if we even score without that, but from my perspective, I would have never done that.

I'm not in tears about the loss either, but these are the types of games that are still difficult to accept due to knowing that a couple of breaks or better decision making could have easily swung the game in the opposite direction.