View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #33
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
That's fair, I was just pointing out that it wasn't exactly a meat ball. Although I don't necessarily agree that you should ALWAYS throw a junk pitch on 0-2. For all we know the scouting report on that particular hitter might show that he expects the junker and is susceptible to the 0-2 strike. Ogando is defintely an aggressive pitcher, but I don't necessarily hate that 0-2 pitch. As I mentioned, it DID induce the kind of contact that is going to result in an out the majority of the time.

Did you have a beef with Washington beyond the German pinch hit (which was weird, for sure)?
Obviously there are times to attack there, but even if he is susceptible to the 0-2 strike, given the situation, I still think you try a couple of pitches to get him to swing and miss.

Bottom line, as you said, it was slider time and he throws a fastball strike. Just can't do it. Just can't. Hell, even if you want to throw a strike, make it a borderline slider after 2 straight fastballs to get to the 0-2 count to begin with.

Hell, he could be the best slider hitter in baseball and it would still be better to throw a junk pitch slider to see if he chases vs. throwing a fastball strike that - as was obviously proven possible - can be slapped into right field for the winning run in a World Series game.

Mentioned the other core issues I had with Washington in my last post...