View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #4466
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Abdul-Jabbar is hands-down the best center in the history of the NBA, and one of the most dominant of his era. And he is correct insomuch as Dirk has not been as dominant in his era as Abdul-Jabbar was in his.

But I think it is very fair to ask whether Abdul-Jabbar would be as dominant in Dirk's era as he was in his own. I think Abdul-Jabbar would still be a great player, but not necessarily as dominant.

The game has changed, the center position has evolved. Unless Kareem could hit a 3-pt sky hook, he'd be playing a lot of goalie.

Ironically, Abdul-Jabbar's ungracious comments about Dirk echo Wilt Chamberlain's embittered criticisms of Abdul-Jabbar himself. As intelligent as Abdul-Jabbar is, it's curious that he doesn't realize this. He just looks bitter and petty, and more defensive than he looked over the last 5 years of his career.

I remember a comment that Kareem made back around '76 or '77, after the Bucks had traded him to LA, and before the Lakers had upgraded the roster. A frustrated Abdul-Jabbar said of the Lakers, "They just pay me to show up and shoot a few hook shots." Was he being a one-trick pony at that point?

Let's be honest: Abdul-Jabbar ALWAYS needed an elite-level PG like Oscar Robertson or Magic in order for him to be a "dominant" player. Not only that, Abdul-Jabbar played the last decade-plus of his career on a roster stocked with all-time greats like Magic and Worthy, and with starts like Jamaal Wilkes and Norm Nixon, and with top-tier reserves like Michael Cooper, Bob McAdoo and Mychal Thompson. Abdul-Jabbar was able to be a "dominant" player because he had elite players supporting him. Abdul-Jabbar was roundly and rightly criticized for being a passive defender, and showing little interest in defending beyond being an off-ball shot blocker. And rightly or wrongly he was criticized for being "soft", missing a decisive championship game with a "migraine" during Magic's rookie year, when Magic pretty much single-handedly defeated the Sixers for the championship with Abdul-Jabbar back in Los Angels. I'm not sure that he was as regarded as being as dominant and well-rounded during the last half of his career as he seems to remember.

With the exception of Jason Kidd playing out the tail-end of his career with the Mavericks, Dirk never had that level of support on the roster. He has ended up carrying the Mavericks on his back for the better part of two decades. Dirk may not have as many rings as Abdul-Jabbar, but he's been an MVP and an NBA Champion. Dirk has also been a loyal, humble, classy, team player and a great example for his teammates, something fewer people would say about Abdul-Jabbar.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote