View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #80
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The reason I've always thought 2-3-2 is a weak format for the "advantage" team is pretty simple and relies on two premises.

The obvious premise to home field advantage is that, if you win all your home games, you win the series.

But I've always thought home field advantage carries (or should carry, from a normative standpoint) a second, more subtle premise: if you are the "advantage" team and win all your home games, you should never be behind in a series. You should always be either winning the series or tied. There's a significant psychological impact that comes with being behind in a series, and I've always thought it was lame that the "advantage" team can end up not only behind but also on the brink of elimination after game 5 if both teams simply win their home games.

Conversely, that's why I love the 2-3-2 if I'm the "3" team. At least before a series starts, anyway.
That is a strange quirk. But my question pertains to the bottom line: Does this format actually increase your overall chance to win the series? Perhaps the likelihood of a 3-2 edge is slightly boosted. But it's also a 3-2 edge of the worst kind, since the final two games are both scheduled on the road.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote