View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #20
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Wallace Trade that Makes the Most Sense to Me.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
DDH ...I like your trade idea and the way you think through the trade from both sides.

I like getting TAW out of here, cause he is wasted space and money in Dallas - though someone else might be able to get partial use from him.

Only problem is, I dont think that Portland will see Walker as a jillion times better to have than Wallace, and then be so grateful that they agree to also take on about $30M extra from TAW - since they are trying to LESSEN salary by moving Wallace. If they wanted more salary, they just keep Sheed and give him 3 yrs at 30, and they are better off than your scenario.

Plus, then they ALSO toss in their starting PG?

From a Dallas standpoint, if you can just send them Walker and TAW, for Wallace (and some small cap filler like Stepania, perhaps), then I think you grab it before they change their mind.

For those who dont like Wallace here, maybe you can send him along to Atlanta, for a Ratliff/Terry combo (plus minor cap balancers including Best leaving Dallas): that gives Atlanta a huge slash in payroll that they want and lets them move 2 players that are said to be on the move. And it gives Dallas a true C plus a very good combo-G, both of which would be needed. If its a 3 way, Dallas loses Walker-TAW-Best and gets Ratliff-Terry-Stepania-(&balancer).
Thank you for the compliment, and welcome.

About the trade, the main reason why I thought Portland might view Walker as an upgrade was because of his contract situation, and Walker's stats, for all his flaws, have remained great. Teams take note of that and surely think that in their system he could be even more effective.

My thought was that Dallas could play on Portland's desparation to move Wallace and offer Walker and Abdul-Wahad in return. I think Portland would bite as soon as they could find even money or move out another bad apple. The biggest problem in my trade seems to be that McInnnis has played well for Portland this season. They may be reluctant to give him up. (I actually came up with this idea at the beginning of the season. At the time, McInnis was being viewed as a bad apple. That doesn't seem to be the case now. He's done great filling in for Derek Anderson).

The point I wanted to get across was that Walker would probably bring us more in a trade and put us in better bargaining position that Antawn Jamison would - mainly because of the stats and contracts.

However, the latest rumors have Jamison and Abdul-Wahad being enough to get the deal done. If that's true, then Rasheed is cheaper than I thought and Portland wasn't as desparate to cut salary as I believed. But I still believe that Antoine Walker is the bigger bargaining chip. It's just that we may not need the Big Chip to get this deal done...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote