View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #56
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Yeah, I found that a really odd way to describe Fight Club.....
I know there were a number of different themes running through Fight Club, but my take is my take after all.

I'd simply note that Tyler Durden is very much the person that *Jack* longs to be, at least in the beginning. Tyler is a proto-typical anarchist/primitivist -- no rules, no authorities, wearing one set of leather clothes, etc., etc...

But.....by the end of the movie, *Jack* has a gaping bullet hole in his jaw, he's figuratively killed Tyler Durden, he's questioning the wisdom of blowing up 11 buildings in order to obliterate the debt record (anarchy!), and he's thinking maybe he needs to chill out and hang with his crazy girlfriend....

That sure as heck looked to me like a cautionary tale for anarchist sympathizers, and that's the big reason it makes my top ten...

.... Additonally -- a) I'm a bit of an anarchist sympathizer; and b) Chuck Palahniuk is a bit of an anarchist sympathizer....perhaps it takes one anarchist sympathizer one to know one?

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 06-20-2006 at 01:33 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote