Thread: 2007 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #36
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Maverick Draft Preview: Pick #60

By Matt Carter | June 8th, 2007

Ohio State's Ron Lewis could be a potential pick for the Mavs at #60. (Associated Press)

We have arrived at Pick #60, the final pick for the Dallas Mavericks and, more importantly, the final pick in the NBA Draft. Most players with any substantial talent will likely already be long gone by the end of the second round, which gives the pick very low trade value. Therefore, this is a pick where the Mavericks can afford to take some chances. It is difficult to say exactly who will be available, as different players have different needs.

As with my previous two articles, I will start of be restating the Mavericks’ team needs in the upcoming draft:

-A post player who can bully other teams with their strength while continuing to play solid defense.

-A point guard with skills who can prosper under Avery Johnson’s system. Passing skills are currently more important than shooting.

-An athletic guy that can play the 3 or 4, possibly a backup for Dirk Nowitzki who can get to the basket.

If my earlier predictions are correct, the Mavericks will probably pick up two larger players earlier in the second round, an athletic four (possibly Sean Williams and Ali Traore) and a big capable of being a PF or C (Kyle Visser, Aaron Gray, or Glen Davis). With this pick I believe Dallas will look for a smaller guy to play the 1 or 2, but if a talented big slips far enough it will be easy to take him and just invite the others to play in the summer leagues. That’s the luxury of having the last pick in the draft.

Here are some possibilities for the Mavs with the 60th pick:

Ron Lewis SG/Ohio State
Lewis would be a solid safe pick for the Mavs if he is still available at pick #60. He isn’t the biggest of guards (at 6’4’’) and isn’t incredibly strong, but he does possess a long-range show and an ability to drive to the basket. He has the luxury of having deep experience in NCAA tournament playing alongside Greg Oden and Mike Conley, Jr., which might be good in giving him experience in clutch situations. He doesn’t have great hands, however, and barely has any sort of a midrange game.

Can the Mavs take him? Possibly, but it will all depend on the sort of risks taken by other teams late in the draft. If they choose to go with proven college players with four years of experience, Lewis will probably be gone. If teams choose to go the international route, he could be available. Avery Johnson likes players with four years of college under their bet, so Lewis will be a solid bet at pick #60.

Renaldis Seibutis SG/Lithuania
Selbutis would probably be one of those “project players” similar to Manu Ginobili when he was drafted in 1999. The Spurs let him play overseas for a couple of years before eventually becoming an NBA All-Star. I’m not saying Seibutis will have anywhere near the impact of Ginobili, but if drafted he will probably remain in Europe for a few years. Draft reports claim him to be a great scorer, but not that great of a shooter. His talent comes in driving to the basket and creating for his teammates. He is capable of being a big point guard or a 2.

Can the Mavs take him? The same sort of variables exist for drafting Suibutis that exist for drafting Lewis, but he could very well be available at pick #60. I personally really like what he can offer offensively, and in a few years he could develop greater shooting skills and defense. He does possess a good work ethic, which Avery Johnson would appreciate out of him. Donnie Nelson is typically great at scouting players outside the U.S., so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him picked up (maybe even at #50).

Stephane Lasme PF/UMass
Lasme is an interesting player for a number of reasons. For one thing, he seems to be all over the place on team’s draft boards. I’ve seen him taken in the late 40s and I’ve seen him not taken at all. This leaves open the possibility of Lasme being open at the end of the draft. He is a much more athletic player than either Seibutis or Lewis, and is also a much better defender and shot-blocker. Unfortunately he possesses very little of an offensive game, and at 6’8’’ he is a little small to play a power forward at the NBA level.

Can the Mavs take him? He could be selected at either #50 or #60, but his age (25) and lack of offensive ability might be a hindrance to teams looking for young talent to develop. His character and work ethic is not in question, but Avery is probably looking for a younger player late in the draft to send to the D-League for playing time. I don’t see Lasme as that guy, though he does have some solid defensive skills.

JR Reynolds PG/SG/Virginia
Reynolds is a shoot-first PG or a small SG. Either way, he is for the most part an offensive player who can knock down big shots in succession. He has a tendency, however, to be a little streaky, but he does handle the ball well in addition to moving well without the ball. The main other weaknesses in his game include his decision-making and defensive strength. He often takes too many gambles.

Can the Mavs take him? Reynolds is like Lasme in that some boards have him going earlier in the drafts, but others don’t have him drafted at all. Reynolds would probably be a D-League player for at least a year, but in time he could develop and considering his younger age he might have more potential than Lasme.

Other Options

Sun Yue SG/China- A 6’9’’ guard/forward that can shoot the ball well. Still needs some work on defense, though.

Coby Karl SG/Boise St.- Another SG with some talent, an offensive game and a solid performance at the Orlando Pre-Draft Workouts.

Jared Jordan PG/Marist- Jordan was one of the best passers in college last year, but the level of competition was not as high for him as for other players. He could someday become quite a surprise.

Darryl Watkins C/Syracuse- Due to his 6’11’’ frame Watkins will probably get some run in the summer leagues but his inconsistency and occasional lack of effort could turn teams away quickly.

Mohamed Akubar PF/San Diego St.- Akubar is a PF with a good shooting touch but not a whole lot more. He is a bit undersized for a 4 and could be taken down on the post easily.

http://mvn.com/nba-mavericks/

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote