View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #61
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'd say it's more like like a Jackson-Wright trade.

It was a salary move, and a necessary one considering the bad contracts the Mavs had to take on in the KP trade. Whether or the Mavs use their cap space wisely afterward is a separate debate.

Bad deal for the Mavs? Meh, I'm not losing sleep over it. I like Barnes just fine, but let's not make him out to be more than what he is. If he was still here right now, he'd be a marginal upgrade at best.
I am interpreting that to mean Jackson/Wright for Barnes? Diversification of risk is good, but still that's two lesser players, neither one of whom will ever be at Barnes' level.

I see a lot of people talking about the Mavericks needing to upgrade their roster; I agree. But I don't see a blockbuster deal in the Mavs' near future, so any upgrade is going to be 'marginal'.

It seems like that by trading Barnes, the Mavs always intended to be taking one (or two) steps back now, in order to take one step forward in the future. That's losing ground, not gaining ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Agree - Barnes had gone from a 4th option type of player to having to be "the man" for the Mavs - would he have just as easily swung back to being just another cog in the Mavs' current offense? We see the same struggle going on with THJ - no need for another 20 million player who's probably not going to put us over the top. Might be better for a year or two but doesn't move the needle to making us a top team.

I think Barnes is a great guy, tough player, but sending him out was the right move.
In GS, Barnes was deferring to Curry and Thompson for sure; probably being stepped over for shots by vets and/or shothogs like Green, Iguodala, Livingston. Yes, he worked to fit in, which I think is what you want?

Were Porzingis' struggles unforeseen? At a minimum, Barnes would've been the 'other' scoring option for Doncic to feed while KP finds his footing, and a long 2/3 who'd have been a versatile defender.

If the point is that Barnes (even with his contract) was tradeable, whereas Hardaway with his millstone of a contract was not, I agree.

If the point is to re-set expectations, and to say that this team (as constructed) shouldn't be expected to advance into that playoffs, I can accept that too, despite some of the irrational exuberance expressed in GDTs.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote